• SBK Customer Hotline

    0800 072 572 572 50

    Monday to Friday | 8am - 8pm | toll-free within Germany 

  • Find your

    personal consultant

    How can I help you?


All the information you need concerning your health insurance contribution

A young woman and two men work in a lab

Are you an employee with an annual salary of less than €66,600? Then you can take out insurance with SBK as an employee required to pay insurance contributions for statutory health insurance. 

If you are earning more than €66,600 per year (the annual salary limit for 2023), you can voluntarily take out insurance with SBK. This voluntary insurance generally starts on 1 January of the following year – if your salary also exceeds the annual salary limit applicable at that time. If you are starting a new job or changing employers, you can voluntarily take out insurance with SBK right away.

Your benefits with SBK:

Your SBK social security contributions 2023

As an employee your gross salary and the SBK contribution rate serve as the basis for your monthly social security contributions, i.e. contributions to health, unemployment, nursing care and pension insurance. Your contributions are deducted from your total income up to the maximum ‘contribution assessment ceiling’ for the type of insurance in question. 

These ceilings are uniformly defined each year by lawmakers. Your employer covers half of the contribution for you, but does not pay the additional contribution or the nursing care insurance premium for those without children.

How to calculate your health insurance contributions

Want to know how much your health insurance contributions will be? Your personal consultant will be happy to help. 

If you earn between €520.01 and €2,000 per month gross (‘midi-jobs’), your employee share of your social security contribution will work out to be lower than the employer share. For this reason, a special formula is used to calculate the contribution. Please contact your personal consultant to learn more.

Changing employers

When you change employers, nothing changes with regard to your health insurance cover. Your new employer just needs a certificate of your membership with us. Simply contact your personal consultant for this. They will be happy to send your employer this certificate. 

Multiple employers

Do you have more than one employer? In this case your total income from all of your individual jobs is generally calculated together. Moreover, your total income will also be used to determine your contribution deductions up to the maximum contribution assessment ceiling. Each employer recalculates the contributions for you and directs them to us. For this reason it is important for you to inform your employer of all of your jobs.

More on this topic: