With SBK you can insure your family contribution-free.
Take advantage of SBK family insurance. All of your relatives can be covered by your health and long-term care insurance policies on a non-contributory basis to enjoy all the same SBK benefits as you. Find out here which family members you can include in your policy and which criteria need to be met.
Family insurance - your benefits with SBK:
- Family insurance is free of charge for your co-insured family members.
- Your family members enjoy the same high-quality insurance cover and the full range of benefits offered by SBK.
- Your personal customer consultant will also be happy to help your co-insured family members with any questions they may have about health insurance and the benefits offered by SBK.
- The online family questionnaire makes it very easy for you to update the details of your co-insured relatives as part of the regular review of the requirements.
Applying for family insurance
Register your family members directly for contribution-free family insurance. Simply contact your personal consultant to do so.
Family questionnaire for regular review of requirements
We need to contact you regularly about family insurance in order to check the insured status and the conditions for free insurance for your family members. Our online questionnaire enables you to save time by automatically saving your entries. You only need to fill it out when we ask you to do so. In this case, we will send you the access data for the questionnaire. If you use our app Meine SBK, the questionnaire will appear there as soon as a review is due. If you want to include family members in your family insurance, please submit an application for family insurance.
Top services for you and your family
Expecting a baby is a wonderful gift. To make you feel completely safe during this time, you will receive special additional services relating to your pregnancy.
We want you and your baby to be healthy and well cared for. That’s why we provide you with lots of extra benefits during pregnancy that go beyond the statutory minimum.
You can choose from selected check-ups and pharmacy-only medicines during pregnancy, birth preparation for your partner and a midwife on-call service worth a total of €150.
The great thing about it: you decide for yourself which SBK-Extra you want to use your personal budget for.
Expectant parents also benefit from the Babyglück bonus program.
You receive up to €50 for various preventive activities during and after pregnancy, which you can use for a joint journey of discovery with your little one. These include, for example, parent-baby courses such as baby swimming or massage as well as baby care, first aid and much more.
If you prefer to invest yourself, you can also have your accumulated bonus transferred to your account up to a maximum of €25.
Preventive care services for your child
The health of your children is very important to us. So you get extra care for your children - for a good feeling and more security.
In order to keep an eye on your child's development at all times, we cover the costs of additional preventive check-ups over and above the usual statutory standard.
Preventive care includes the U and J examinations, which form one of the most important foundations of comprehensive preventive healthcare for our children.
We close the gaps and also cover the U10, U11 and J2 examinations at contractual doctors in addition to the obligatory examinations.
Your personal consultant will be happy to assist you in your search for suitable doctors.
Do you have questions about your child's development and preventive check-ups?
Then our team of experts is there for you around the clock via the SBK pregnancy & child health hotline.
Your choice: alternative medicine
Whether homeopathy, osteopathy or acupuncture - SBK provides you with selected services from the field of alternative medicine.
If you choose the gentle path of homeopathy for yourself and your children, we will cover the full costs from the anamnesis to the consultation and treatment with all cooperating contractual doctors - simply present your SBK health card.
If you opt for osteopathic treatment, you benefit from SBK cost sharing: For up to six treatments per calendar year with qualified osteopaths, you and your children are guaranteed a subsidy of €30 each.
We also support you to find a qualified osteopath in your area - personally through your personal SBK consultant or online with our osteopath search.
SBK is also on your side regarding other gentle healing methods: acupuncture is intended to restore the healthy flow of energy. Especially for chronic pain in the lower back and knee joint, acupuncture treatment can be a suitable alternative.
In these cases, we simply cover the costs for you at qualified doctors via the SBK health card.
Everything you need to know about free family insurance with SBK
You can insure the following family members free of charge:
- Your spouse
- Your partner in accordance with the German Civil Partnership Act (Lebenspartnerschaftsgesetz)
- biological and adopted children up to a certain age limit
- Children of family-insured children
- Stepchildren and grandchildren who live in your household or whose main support is provided by you
- Foster children, provided you do not care for them professionally
Children can be covered by family insurance until they reach the age of 23. An extension until their 25th birthday or longer is possible if certain conditions are met. There are no age limits for spouses or registered partners.
You can insure your children free of charge under the following conditions:
- Until the age of 23 if they are not working as an employee or self-employed worker
- Until the age of 25 if they are still in school or university or if they are completing a social or ecological year as part of voluntary civil service and do not receive any remuneration from these activities. If your child is taking part in voluntary civil service abroad and receives remuneration for this work, it depends on which country they are working in as to whether or not they can continue to be covered by the family insurance. Please contact your personal consultant to discuss this.
- Beyond the 25th birthday if the child's education has been delayed due to military or voluntary service. An extension beyond the 25th birthday is possible for the entire period of service, but for a maximum of 12 months.
- Children who are unable to support themselves due to a physical, mental or emotional disability are not subject to any age limits and can continue to be included in the family insurance. The disability must occur while family insurance is in place and must have an unforeseeable duration.
There is also an income limit for family members with family insurance.
You can insure your family members free of charge under family insurance if their regular income does not exceed €505 per month (2024). From January 2024, mini-jobbers can even earn up to €538 per month and still benefit from free family insurance.
The income that is taken into account for family insurance includes, for example
- Gross pay from employment, including all expected one-off payments such as vacation or Christmas bonuses
- Severance pay (redundancy pay) due to termination of the employment relationship
- Remuneration from working student employment
- Profit from self-employment
- Income from renting and leasing
- Income from capital assets such as interest, dividends, etc.
- Pensions, including survivors' and foreign pensions
- Taxable maintenance payments
Most tax-free income, parental allowance, child benefit, housing benefit or amounts for child-raising periods for pensions are not taken into account when assessing whether the income limit for family insurance is exceeded. When determining income, the applicable income-related expenses (individual or flat-rate) can be deducted for each calendar year.
Income that is not earned regularly is also not taken into account. This can be, for example, (short-term) employment that is limited from the outset to no more than three months or 70 working days. In this case, the amount of income is irrelevant for family insurance.
There are restrictions on free family insurance in certain cases.
In addition to the income and age limits for your family members, there are other requirements. Free family insurance is only possible if the family member is primarily resident in Germany and
- is not a member of a health and nursing care insurance themselves or
- is not self-employed as their main occupation or
- is not exempt from insurance as an employee or civil servant or
- is not exempt from compulsory health insurance.
Your children can be insured under the free family insurance scheme if
- your spouse or partner (with a registered civil partnership) does not have statutory health insurance and their regular monthly income does not exceed €5,775 per year (2024) or
- your own income is higher than that of your spouse or civil partner who does not have statutory health insurance.
We need a written application from you for free family insurance for your family members. Your personal customer consultant will be happy to assist you with the application and answer any questions you may have.
We are legally obliged to regularly check the requirements for family insurance. The information is generally required annually. In the case of children under the age of 15 whose parents are covered by statutory health insurance or in the case of spouses or partners who have reached the age limit for the standard retirement pension, the check is only required every three years.
Even if your circumstances do not change or change only slightly, we need you to provide us with up-to-date and complete information. Therefore, please return the regular query that you receive from us promptly. If we do not receive up-to-date information from you, we will unfortunately have to terminate the free family insurance due to legal regulations. In this case, your family members would have to take out their own insurance subject to contributions.
Please inform us of any changes relating to your family members' education, income, insurance or marital status, for example. Based on this information, we can check for you whether free family insurance is still possible.
Free family insurance ends when the age or income limits are exceeded or the other requirements cease to apply. If your family member starts their own health insurance, for example by taking up employment, family insurance is no longer possible. However, the family member can continue to be insured with SBK. Simply contact us and we will be happy to advise you.
Special rules apply to statutory health insurance when a parent takes parental leave, depending on the insurance status of the parents. Your personal consultant will be happy to help you.
Yes, we need your details, even if your own SBK membership has ended. The family insurance check is carried out retrospectively and always relates to the time period since the last check.
We always need the health insurance details of your spouse or civil partner (registered civil partnership) when insuring children. Under certain circumstances, it may no longer be possible to co-insure children if the spouse or civil partner has private health insurance. Therefore, please provide the full details of your spouse or partner and their health insurance.
In principle, family insurance with the SBK can continue as long as your child's income and age limits for family insurance are not exceeded. In addition, the continuation of family insurance also depends on whether separate insurance cover may exist due to the voluntary service in the country concerned. Please contact us about this. We will be happy to advise you.
Your child's free family insurance ends when they start an apprenticeship or have to take out their own insurance as a student aged 25 or over. In this case, you can find out directly about the options for continued insurance with us on the following pages:
Or speak with your personal consultant directly. Together we will find the best way for you to stay insured.
Family insurance online
If your family members are already insured with SBK free of charge, you can simply provide us with the necessary information online on a regular basis. We will answer your questions on this topic here.
You have these advantages if you use the family questionnaire online:
- The family questionnaire online is already pre-filled with your personal data and that of your family members with family insurance. You only need to update or add the missing information. This saves you time when completing the form.
- You can easily upload attachments and certificates. You do not need to send any additional documents later on.
- The online family questionnaire does not need to be printed out and signed. You can simply save the file.
- You submit the data to us online via a secure connection. This saves you postage and the way to the post box.
You need the online application to add your family members to your family insurance. To do this, you must complete the application online, print it out, sign it and send it to us. Your personal customer consultant will be happy to assist you with this.
The online family questionnaire is used to update and check the information of existing family members. We will let you know as soon as we need to request family insurance details from you again. We will also automatically send you a one-time password that you can use to enter all the required information online at familienversicherung.sbk.org.
The one-time password for the familienversicherung.sbk.org website is valid as long as you have not yet completed entering or updating the information. It expires as soon as you have submitted the data to the SBK. However, you can interrupt the processing of the family questionnaire at any time and complete it at a later date. Therefore, please use the option to temporarily save your data if, for example, not all documents are complete.
Refresh the page in your Internet browser by pressing the F5 key (with standard keyboard layout). The maintenance window should then no longer appear. The reason for this is that the maintenance page was obviously still saved in the cache of your Internet browser. This cache is deleted when the page is refreshed and the current page is displayed again.