Responsibility and Sustainability
Who doesn’t want to live a healthy life? We see it as our main responsibility to improve the conditions to make it possible for people to do just that.
Here’s how we live up to that responsibility:
- We can’t be healthy if our planet isn’t healthy, so we take sustainability seriously.
- By encouraging mindfulness, exercise, rest, relaxation, and healthy eating through a wide range of services, we are helping our customers find a healthy lifestyle to suit them.
- We do what we can to ensure high-quality healthcare is provided, so you get the exact benefits, care, and treatment you need every time.
Find out more about these areas:
Protecting the Planet with SBK Online Post
Our Online Post is just one of our many initiatives aimed at protecting the planet. Oswald, our very own Eco-Warrior, can tell you exactly what makes it so environmentally friendly.
One Step Closer to Climate-Neutrality
If we want to take responsibility for the health of our customers, we need to start by showing our respect for nature. After all, we can’t be healthy if our planet isn’t healthy. And that’s why we are committed to doing our bit to look after the environment. Where better to start than with a target of our own?
Climate-Neutral Business by 2030
We have our sights set on a specific target. Our business will be completely climate-neutral in 2030. By that point at the latest, we’ll have reduced our carbon emissions to the absolute minimum and we’ll be offsetting any emissions we really can’t avoid.
This is our plan:
- We’re reducing our carbon footprint. One way we’re doing this is by switching exclusively to green energy across all SBK sites.
- We work with a sustainable IT infrastructure. And we have the highly respected Green Web Foundation certification to prove it.
- Our purchases are sustainable. We check a strict set of sustainability criteria before buying anything.
- Our customer magazine print run is powered by green energy including hydropower. We’ve also switched to climate-neutral delivery and FSC-certified paper.
- We promote green mobility by offering our employees season tickets for public transport and discounts on electric bikes.
- We do our bit to get cars off the road in rush hour by allowing staff to work from home where possible.
- Our sustainable travel guidelines limit business trips and favor environmentally friendly ways of getting from A to B. We work together digitally wherever possible, favoring video calls and digital collaboration tools over traveling for face-to-face meetings.
- We encourage digital communications internally at SBK and with our customers as a way of reducing the emissions caused by producing paper as well as printing and delivering letters.
- We offer current and potential SBK customers advice over video calls. This saves them having to travel to one of our branches and avoids the associated emissions.
- Since 2020, we’ve been taking part in a nationwide campaign being run by the foundation viamedica – “Save the Planet, Save Lives.” It involves things like taking the stairs instead of the elevator, switching off lights, and not leaving devices on standby. Our employees have saved over 17,000 kg of CO2 so far. That’s the equivalent of 77 kg of CO2 per person!
As a business, we’re also looking at the bigger picture and pushing for environmentally friendly changes to the healthcare system as a whole. As a member of the “Climate-Neutral Healthcare Sector 2035” initiative, we’re committed to helping our society achieve climate neutrality. You can read more about the initiative here.
News Relating to Our Climate Neutrality Target (only available in German)
Promoting a Sustainable Healthy Lifestyle
It’s our responsibility to care about your health all the time – not just when you’re seriously ill. And that’s why we want to do all we can to help you live a healthy lifestyle. SBK customers have a long list of health services they can take advantage of, including additional benefits, all kinds of health classes, balance days, and health breaks.
On a mission to promote prevention in all areas of life, we partner up with businesses, welfare institutions, and charities. For example, we work with GORILLA, a health promotion and education program, to support children, teenagers, and young adults.
It’s up to you to decide what’s best for your health. But you can always count on us to be by your side as a health insurance provider committed to sustainability.
Fighting for a Sustainable Healthcare System
We see it as our responsibility to make sure high-quality healthcare is available to all and we always make sure we lead by example. All our benefits and services are designed with the needs of our customers – that’s you – in mind. Our standards are high, so you can rest assured that you’ll always be getting the very best treatment and care. We’re transparent about all feedback – positive and negative – and we never stop striving to improve. Our efforts to secure better healthcare are public. We start up discussions in professional circles and bring momentum to the debate about making the healthcare system more caring. It’s our aim to bring about a mindset shift – and we’re targeting other health insurance companies, politicians, and society as a whole.