Personal Specialist and Hospital Search
Deciding which doctor you would like to go to is basically your choice. Looking for a suitable specialist? Then simply use the Personal Specialist and Hospital Search with the help of you personal client advisor. This way you'll quickly find specialised and competent doctors and hospitals in your vicinity and save a lot of time.
You may also prefer to have us make an appointment for you. Simply enter your desired days and times of day online or via phone, and we will report back to you within two days with a suitable appointment. Practical: You can use the SBK Appointments Service in English as well as in other languages such as Greek, Russian and Turkish.
Outpatient and inpatient treatment
As an SBK client, you decide yourself whether you want to be an outpatient or prefer stationary treatment. Many people – especially children – recover quicker at home than in a hospital ward.
Your SBK advantages:
- You can have many medical procedures made ambulatory and settle them directly with you electronic healthcare card
- You can freely choose between established doctors, authorised outpatient operation centres and hospitals
- If due to your diagnose an inpatient treatment is recommended rather than not, simply go to an authorised hospital of your choice – from the age of 18 the stay is subject to a deductible of 10 Euro per day for a maximum period of 28 days
Classical and alternative medicine
It's all about your health. Therefore you decide how you want to be treated. Simply talk to your personal client advisor about your options.
- Homoeopathy: We bear all costs – from anamnesis to consulting to treatment with all cooperating contract doctors
- Osteopathy: SBK will reimburse a proportion of the cost of six osteopathic treatments with certified osteopaths annually
- Acupuncture: Should you be suffering from chronic lumbar spine or knee joint conditions, your therapy will be settled directly with your electronic healthcare card at the specialist
Medication and remedies
As an SBK member you'll receive everything you need for a quick recovery.
- Should you need medication for your treatment, your doctor will issue a prescription – in most cases you are required to pay a small deductible (Low-income earners and children under the age of 18 are exempt from deductibles.)
- You can obtain the prescribed medication by presenting your prescription at a pharmacy of your choice – ordering them at an online pharmacy is also possible
- Remedies and medical sundries, such as massages, insoles or walking aids, are also subject to co-payments in varying amounts – for these you will also get a prescription from your doctor
In the case of an accident at work or on your way to work the relevant professional association or accident insurance (Unfallkasse) bears all costs of medical and non-medical rehabilitation measures. Moreover, it will protect you from financial losses caused by temporary inability to work or permanent occupational disability by paying injury compensation.
An occupational accident is any kind of accident suffered during practising the insured activity. This includes also, for example, accidents of pupils while at school.
This regulation only applies to employees. As a self-employed person who had an accident at work, we kindly ask you to contact us directly for guidance.
Inability to work
You can't go to work – for example, because you have the flu? For such events there is a safety net in Germany. After all, you should be able to recover at home. It is, however, important that you immediately report yourself sick with your employer. Within a certain period of time (mostly from the third day) your employer will expect a sick note issued by a doctor. You will receive the note in triplicate. The copy without diagnose must be sent to your employer. The second one will have to go to SBK and the third one is for your records. Usually your salary will be paid by your employer for up to six weeks. After that period SBK will pay the so-called sickness benefit. This is calculated based on your previous income and can be paid up to one and a half years for one condition. A tip: If you don't want to mail your sick note to SBK, you can download an app called "Dokument Direkt" free of charge and transfer it quickly and easily.